Technics SL-100C Direct Drive Turntable
The new Technics SL-100C has been developed on the basis of the hugely successful Technics SL-1500C.
The differences SL-100C vs SL-1500C
The SL-100C is equipped with the Audio-Technica VM95C element (SL-1500C in combination with the Ortofon 2M Red)
The SL-100C does not have a built-in phono preamplifier
The SL-100C is only available in black, S-shaped aluminum tonearm tube and control buttons are finished in silver
“The huge success of the SL-1500C, offering a fully featured package for the dedicated hi-fi enthusiast, with all the core Technics turntable technologies, has shown we have hit the mark within a popular and competitive turntable class,” says European Technics product manager Frank Balzuweit. “The demand for this high-quality ‘plug’n’play’ turntable – having exceeded our own expectations – is still undiminished even to this day. However, there is still a strong appetite from the market to deliver a similarly attractive package at an even more affordable price.”
To deliver a cost-effective solution without significant compromise, the new SL-100C comes with an on-board pickup cartridge – the Audio-Technica VM95C, offering sonic finesse to satisfy the demands of real music lovers. The conical stylus of the VM95C ensures precise tracking and detail retrieval from the vinyl grooves, while the cartridge’s technical characteristics mean it is widely compatible with typical Phono MM (moving magnet) inputs found on hi-fi amplifiers.
As a ‘real’ Technics turntable, the SL-100C impresses with the same sophisticated, iron-coreless direct drive motor with motor control to ensure absolutely smooth rotational stability. A solid two-layer chassis ensures a meticulous tracking process, free from external vibrations, and the highly precise S-shaped aluminium tonearm is capable of gleaning the most subtle music nuances out of every vinyl disc. Even more, the automatic tonearm lift (which can be turned off) that is activated at the end of the vinyl’s groove prevents unnecessary needle wear-out after finishing each side of an LP.
The new Technics SL-100C direct drive turntable is a highly attractive solution for all hi-fi oriented vinyl afficionados looking for a “typical” Technics turntable at a highly accessible price point.
- Coreless direct drive motor, achieving stable rotation that is free from cogging and has powerful torque
- Highly sensitive yet robust S-shaped aluminium tonearm
- Two-layer platter with improved vibration-damping performance
- High-rigidity cabinet and high-damping insulator for thorough shut-out of vibrations, ensuring a smooth vinyl-tracking process
- Audio-Technica AT-VM95C pickup cartridge on-board for ease of setup
- Tonearm auto-lift for minimising needle wear-out
About the Technics 1200 Series and SL-1500C
The SL-1200 was launched as a popular direct drive turntable in 1972, becoming a best-selling model with cumulative sales of 3.5 million units. It was supported by powerful torque, easy operation, and high durability. It became greatly admired by both audio enthusiasts and DJs who helped to unleash the DJ culture in areas such as electronic dance music. The series is still highly acclaimed by DJs worldwide today.
The SL-1500C was launched in 2019 as a model based on the generic qualities of the acclaimed 1200 Series but designed as pure hi-fi-oriented turntable without features such as strobe marks on the platter, stylus lamp and the trademark pitch control. Instead, it offers a high-quality pickup cartridge, audiophile level integrated phono equalization and an auto-lift function for the tonearm, making this turntable an easy-to-set-up, fully featured turntable package for an ultimate enjoyment from vinyl playback.
Superb operability for comfortable record playing and an attractive, high-grade design
Auto Lifter Minimises Wear on Records and Stylus
When the tonearm reaches the end of the record, the auto lifter automatically raises the tonearm. This prevents unnecessary wear on your valuable vinyl records and stylus, thus allowing you to enjoy playing records more comfortably. * This function can be turned off.
Technology for Rotational Stability
- Coreless Direct Drive Motor
- High-Precision Motor Controller
Construction for Vibration Tolerance
- High-Dumping Turntable Platter
- Rigid Cabinet Construction
- High-Dumping Insulator
High Quality Parts
- High Sensitive Tonearm
- Detachable PHONO Terminal
Technics Definitive Design
- Inherited SL-1200 Series
- Drive Method: Direct Drive
- Turntable Speeds: 33 1/3, 45rpm
- Starting Torque: 0.18N･m / 1.8kg･cm (1.56 lbs-in)
- Build-up Characteristics: 0.7 s. from standstill to 33 1/3 rpm
- Wow and Flutter: 0.025% W.R.M.S.
- Turntable Platter: Aluminum die-cast
- Diameter：332mm (13-5/64")
- Weight：Approx. 2.0kg (4.5 lbs) (Including Turntable sheet)
- Type: Universal, Static Balance
- Effective Length: 230mm (9-1/16")
- Overhang: 15mm (19/32")
- Tracking Error Angle:
Within 2° 32' (at the outer groove of 30cm(12") record)
Within 0° 32' (at the inner groove of 30cm(12") record)
- Offset Angle: 22°
- Arm Height Adjustment Range: 0 - 6mm
- Stylus Pressure Adjustment Range: 0 - 4g (Direct Reading)
- Head Shell Weight: Approx. 7.6g
- Applicable Cartridge Weight Range:
[without auxiliary weight]
5.6 - 12.0g
14.3 -20.7g (including head shell)
[with auxiliary weight]
18.7-25.1g (including head shell)
- Head Shell Terminal Lug: 1.2mmφ 4-pin terminal lug
- Audio Output: PHONO (Pin Jack) x 1, EARTH TERMINAL x 1
- Power Supply: AC110-240 V, 50 Hz / 60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 8W (Approx. 0.2W (Standby))
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 453 x 169 x 372mm (17-27/32 × 6-21/32 × 14-21/32 inch)
- Weight: Approx. 9.9kg (Approx. 21.9lbs )
Turntable, Turntable sheet, Dust Cover, EP record adaptor, Balance weight, Head shell, Cartridge Audio-Technica VM95C, PHONO cable, Phono earth lead, AC power supply cord, Owner’s Manual